Re: [TenTec] Centurion loading

To: mike.hyder.n4nt@charter.net
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Centurion loading
From: Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX <RMcGraw@Blomand.Net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 20:54:48 -0500
Mike:

With the antenna system already adjusted for 1:1 SWR or on a 50 ohm load, I
switch the amp into the OPERATE mode and add a small bit of drive being 10
to 20 watts or so, adjust TUNE and LOAD controls for max output.  Then
increase drive while watching grid current.  If grid current gets to the Red
line, adjust LOAD to keep grid current below the Red line on the meter which
is 280 ma.  Add more drive as necessary and then adjust TUNE for maximum
output and LOAD to keep grid current below the Red line.    Also, watch
plate current and keep it below the heavy Black line which is 0.8 amps.

In my case, I also drive the Centurion with the Collins S-Line.  It will
deliver some 130 watts output which will easily over drive the amp. Thus I
can exceed 0.8 amps of plate current and at the same time 280 ma of grid
current.  Also, I have a Heathkit SB-610 Monitor scope connected such that I
can observe the trapezoid pattern and can see when the amp is adjusted
correct, when it is under loaded, or when it is being over driven.  To this
end, I am surprised today at the stations that are being operated without
any type of monitoring system.  They are just using blind faith that their
system is working correctly.  On the other hand, they have no clue as to
what is actually going on.  And then there are those stations that generate
lots of "buck shot" splatter and don't know it.  Just question one of them
about it and you'll find out that it will be quickly blamed on the receiver
of the station questioning such operation.

FYI, I started at the numbers listed on page 2-7 of the Tentec manual.
Figure 2-4. Model 422 Tuning Chart.  To that end I have made my own chart
which includes the adjusted final numbers on the Tentec 238 tuner for the 3
different antennas that I use.  Along with these numbers are then the
numbers for the amp.  So changing frequency or band is quite fast and
accurate with minimum fiddling around.

Hope this helps.

73
Bob, K4TAX