Re: [TenTec] QST Delta II/Argonaut II reviews

To: "Caitlyn M. Martin" <mizuhoradio@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] QST Delta II/Argonaut II reviews
From: Bwana Bob <wb2vuf@qsl.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 12:32:57 -0400
Yes, now that I think about it, I recall that the QST review was unduly
harsh. I think QST has been biased in favor of the big-3 import brands,
just like Consumer Reports favors Japanese cars and doesn't like
truck-based SUV's. QST seems more interested in the bells and whistles
these days rather than solid performance, and CR says, "Why would you
want a 4X4 when you can buy a minivan? QST reviews many years ago
focused more on how the radio works and its design, even including block
diagrams and partial schematics.

However, I thought that the prices of the Delta/Argonaut II were high,
relative to the competition. On the other hand, competitive rigs were
not all that great in their performance. I used a TS-680 and thought it
was awful.

But, as you say, time marches on, and the Argo V is a newer, better
design for less money. Although I already have a Scout, there may be an
Argonaut V in my future.

                                        73,

                                        Bob WB2VUF