Re: [TenTec] Yaesu FT9000 oversights in QST review

To: wb2vuf@qsl.net,Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Yaesu FT9000 oversights in QST review
From: Curt <k3ey@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 09:42:44 -0700 (PDT)
I agree! Ladder line works great, been there done that. It also radiates like
crazy and if you are in close proximity to miserable neighbors, ladder line is
not desirable fed line. If you live where even putting up a vertical is out and
the only hope is that dreaded folded dipole, then I guess the folded dipole it
is. To support that folded dipole I had to tie both ends off on two different
neighbors property getting permission with the promise of absolutely no TVI.
That dreaded folded dipole made working HF possible. All the nay saying who
laugh to themselves watching what they perceive as fools work the world with
their folded dipoles dummy loads I say: Give it a break guys. All you're doing
is making yourselves look like old dried up men who despise anything that
doesn't fit your perfect self perceived world view. Distain has become your
mantra.

Bwana Bob <wb2vuf@qsl.net> wrote:Its a mystery to me why hams would go for a
broadband antenna of any
kind, when a dipole fed with ladder line and used with a decent tuner
(auto or manual) is cheaper and more efficient. Yet, I constantly see
hams putting up T2FD resistive-loaded folded dipoles on emergency
operations centers. There is no deception here: the specs of these
antennas are published but not many hams read them and realize that such
antennas are only about 12% efficient on 80 meters. Now the military
with frequency-hopping radios needs a broadband antenna because tuners
can't hop very fast and they add bulk to the portable kit. We change
bands, but its hardly a freq-hopping mode of operation.

Years ago, I found myself in a city "somewhere in the Middle East".
There were many embassies within walking distance. I amused myself by
looking at the the HF antennas on the embassy rooftops. There were a
couple that used big log periodics, but the majority used simple dipoles
fed with 600 ohm ladder line- a design that goes back to the 30's and
40's. Why argue with success?

73,

Bob WB2VUF