Re: [TenTec] psk on orion

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] psk on orion
From: "Ron" <ron@morell.us>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 00:09:36 -0700
Tom,
I took possession of my ORION on June 23, so I'm still learning but today I
hooked it up on PSK using a Rascal Interface connected to the AUX port on
the back of the radio.  I used this interface because I already had it and
for the cost of new cable to fit the ORION I could hook it up with out
buying adapter plugs to get the provided interface cables into my sound
card.  The only secret settings I found were in the SSB menu item where the
AUX Input gain can be adjusted and the TX audio source can be selected to be
either mic or AUX or both.  So in short, I hooked it up to the sound card,
set the mic gain to about 20 watts, set the sound card output using the Wave
Balance and Master Out to achieve a drive level, adjusted the AUX input gain
in the SSB menu until the ALC light came on and then backed it down a few
clicks so it didn't light, checked my IMD on a monitor computer using
another receiver, determined IMD to -28 db and went on the air and worked
several stations in short order.  Each station reported good print and a
decent signal as they saw and measured from their end.

And now the really neat part; KJ6M called after I finished with W7/G7TMG and
was real weak with a wide band data station pounding the receiver at about
S7.  I could just tell about 40% of the print but enough to know I was
called.  I had been working BPSK31 using USB at about 400 Hz as shown on the
DigiPan waterfall, so I set the BW knob to 480 Hz (which switched in a 500
Hz roofing filter) and then set the CUT - L adjustment I narrowed the range
to about 150 Hz with the PSK line centered.  The QRM from the packet or
whatever that was (wide band and loud data station) was no longer a factor
and I had 100% print for the entire QSO.  I'm really starting to like this
ORION.  <grin>
Ron
KA7U