Re: [TenTec] Force 12 vertical dipoles used with my TT Scout

To: "'Barry Gross'" <barry.n1eu@gmail.com>,"'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Force 12 vertical dipoles used with my TT Scout
From: "NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 05:35:12 -0700
It's all relative, Barry.

If you put up a tower and a beam and rotator, you pay much more than that
per band.  If you do that just for 40, you pay a heck of a lot more.

I guess the problem with home-brewing is finding the right parts and then
the time it would take to experiment with the thing.  Some people have lots
of time, but for most of us, "time is money", so the Force12 is probably OK
for the price.

I see it like this:

- It works almost as good as a full size vertical, yet remains within our
zoning laws (as size goes).
- It doesn't require a yard full of radials.
- It's quick and simple to put up and get on the air - and it works "as is".
- It's available immediately.

Whether or not that's worth $500 is something each person must decide for
his (or her) self.

I have contemplated converting my Titanex to a home-brew 40m, but I know if
I begin that now, I'll be lucky to have it finished in time for contesting
season next year.  I can have the Force12 up and running by contesting
season this year.

I have a third option.  The Swedish company has promised to build a 40m
short vertical dipole using linear loading.  The height will probably be
about 12m (2x 6m).  I prefer linear loading to the loading coils used in the
Force12, but the Force12 is here today and the other is still vaporware.

73
Rick