Re: [TenTec] Orion II

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion II
From: "Bob Henderson" <bob@cytanet.com.cy>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 22:04:58 -0000
Replacing 7 boards and a display to essentially provide a new radio is
something no reasonable person (I include myself in this group) would either
seek or expect.

However.....

The filtering problem with Orion I is not effectively fixed with an Inrad
762 filter in the 1 kHz slot.  If it is, then why has Ten Tec invested in
re-engineering the roofing filter architecture?

If Orion I with firmware V2 is "fast enough" as a consequence of elimination
of significant wait states, then processor replacement will indeed prove
unecessary.  Time will tell.

Orion I users deserve a specific statement from Ten Tec concerning these
important outstanding issues.

I do not seek a free upgrade to an Orion II.  If I want the added bells and
whistles an Orion II will provide, I will buy one.  However, what I do want
is resolution of these two outstanding issues, which I have discussed with
Ten Tec at the highest level over the last year.  I do not think that
unreasonable.

Bob Henderson, 5B4AGN