[TenTec] Unanounced upgrades.

To: TenTec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Unanounced upgrades.
From: Curtis Rossow <curtisa@surfbest.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 18:10:20 -0700
I remember when I was in grad school at SDSU I was planning to buy an HP
35 for my homework in astronomy. I was luck to go up to the bay area to
visit my folks for Christmas. While I was in San Fransisco I went into
one of the large department stores and walked by the calculator display
case and saw the new HP 45 for the same price as the HP 35. I bought one
was happy about luck break that I had just experienced.  When i got back
to SDSU I went into the college bookstore and looked at the display case
and all I saw were HP 35's at the same price that I had payed for my 45.
I asked the sales rep about the HP 45 and he didn't say anything until I
pressed about it. He finally told me that they had some 45's but they
weren't going to put the out in display until sold all of the HP 35's,
unless someone asked for a 45.  While I was talking to the rep a guy
came up nd overheard us talking, and he saw my new 45. He had bought  a
35 the day before. When he asked to return his 35 or trade it for a new
45. The rep told him"sorry no way."

Don't shout about Ten-Tec as the only company that brings out new models
without informing buyers many month in advance.

Also as to problems wit EOL chips. I worked for a company that built an
electronic unit that was used to protect Navy destroyers. The
manufacture of one of the chips used in it stopped making them. We tried
to get second source replacements from various Manufactures. None of
them would work in the device. Finally the Navy stepped in and did a
world wide search for the original chip and bought all of them, as I
remember it was about 40 of them. when I retired from the company they
were starting to redesign the unit.

What I am trying to say is that nothing works as we would like. Just ask
calibration tech That need to clean up after the engineers.

Curt NU7R