Re: [TenTec] FCC Testing Requirements

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] FCC Testing Requirements
From: "NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 01:26:24 -0700
Jeff, I've seen no signs of it dieing out.

Let's see, in the early 1960's as SSB began rapidly replacing AM as the
primary voice communications mode, it was so much better that people began
to predict the death of CW.

When PR arrived and then in the 1990's began to expand, people predicted it
or something like it would be the death of CW.

What we saw killing CW was a lack of interest.  When Extra Class hams
couldn't even recognize their own call sign at 5 wpm.  They had passed 20
wpm and then later couldn't even do 5 wpm.  And there was no requirement for
them to ever use CW again.

Then we had multiple countries "kill" the CW requirement as part of their
test for a shortwave license.  Funny, in these countries, the CW activity
went up!

Prior to any country actually doing this, there was speculation on both
sides of the argument.  I chose to side with the "No CW" side.  We won in
most countries.  Now, we are seeing an increase in new hams as well as an
increase in CW ops.

So far I have not read or heard any argument that convinces me that the
advantages of keeping the CW requirement outweigh the advantages of dropping
it.  The best way to keep CW alive is to keep ham radio alive and dropping
the CW requirement has helped.

Look for me in CW (only) contests under my new call sign, DJ2T.

73
Rick