[TenTec] frequency stabilization (Orion)

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] frequency stabilization (Orion)
From: "Martin, AA6E" <martin.ewing@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 16:53:03 -0400
Now for something completely different.

I've been trying to tweak my Orion TCXO to get it more accurate after
warmup.  I have had some success, getting it to come within 0.4 ppm (4
Hz at 10 MHz) or so, at least until the seasons change.  This should
be good enough for mortals like me, but can we do better?

There was a lot of discussion on this reflector a couple of years ago
about stability.  No need to rehash that.  I can see that one could
make improvements by cooling/ventilating the synthesizer compartment
better and/or by ovenizing the TCXO.

I am wondering if anyone has succeeded in slaving the Orion to an
external oscillator (GPS or otherwise).  Is there a write-up anywhere?

I am having a senior moment.  I recall having read about a more or
less universal frequency stabilization module that can lock to (or
provide an error signal) for your oscillator at say 44.55 MHz against
your 10 MHz standard.  This was not too long ago, but I cannot find
the reference any more.  Sounds like a QEX thing.   Anybody have a
pointer?

TIA
73 Martin AA6E
--