Re: [TenTec] Running AL-811 with Triton Transceiver

To: Glenn Hess <glennhess@earthlink.net>,Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Running AL-811 with Triton Transceiver
From: "James C. Owen, III" <k4cgy_list@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 12:03:14 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Glenn,
   It should work just fine. No Ten-tec made, to my knowledge has
ever had a ALC input from an amp because it's not needed. Most
rigs, Kenwood, Icom etc have no way to set a maximum output power
and the ten-tec does. The power control is labeled ALC and sets
the maximum power that the transceiver outputs. I use a AL-80
with a Jupiter and earlier with a Corsair II. The set up is as
follows: Tune the amplifier for maximum output on the wattmeter
with the transceiver set to about 90 watts output. Then while
watching the output turn the power (ALC) down and then back up
watching for the point that the output stops increasing. This is
the point to leave the ALC control and the maximum input power
that the amp needs for maximum output.
If you have a scope you do the same thing setting the ALC control
at the point just below where the peaks showing flating. Has
worked for me for 25+ years.
73 Jim K4CGY