Re: [TenTec] Running AL-811 with Triton Transceiver

To: tentec@contesting.com, glennhess@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Running AL-811 with Triton Transceiver
From: CATFISHTWO@aol.com
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 15:31:05 EDT
I never use an ALC line, on any amp.  I usually tune the radio for max  smoke
from the amp then back the power from the transciever down about 5 watts  or
so. this drops the output down a tad, and keeps you in the linear area of the
amp and the tubes last forever.

 I also use the "turn it up till it doesn't change and then back it  down a
tad"  method.  the alpha has the plate current up to about 700  mills and it
just quits increasing power out. Most amps have this point, so you  will
initially tune it for the point when it doesn't increase power out with
increase of
input from transciever. . that is the magic point and then back it  down a
tad.

I used to try an alc line but like on the old ft 101's it would cause it to
motor boat at about 15 cps..so tune it to max then back it downa a tad.. works
 well

tom N6AJR