Re: [TenTec] Orion vs SDR-1000

To: doon@infoscientific.com,Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion vs SDR-1000
From: "Martin, AA6E" <martin.ewing@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 15:55:22 -0400
Interesting idea.  I imagine the existing code is built with licensed
3rd party libraries that could not be released in source.  There's a
big Xylinx chip in there.  I suspect the only well-formatted
documentation for a lot of the hardware (API) is the source code
itself -- if they are as lazy as I am!  I wouldn't mimimize the amount
of work to sanitize the documentation for an OSS type release.  Maybe
volunteers could help with this under NDA's.

I've wondered about reverse-engineering the firmware.  Apart from
being a lot of work, the DMCA or some such law may declare this to be
a terrorist activity.  On the other hand, TT has never specified any
license (shrinkwrap or otherwise) that limits what you can do with
their firmware releases, so maybe anything goes.  Ask your lawyer...

Still, it would be a bold and exciting move for TT to consider.

73 Martin AA6E