Re: [TenTec] Orion vs SDR-1000

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion vs SDR-1000
From: Steve Ireland <vk6vz@arach.net.au>
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 17:55:14 +0800
G'day again

Sorry but, to use the Australian vernacular, I 'stuffed up' on the email
address for the American QRP Club - it is www.amqrp.org

The exact URL for the SoftRock-40 receiver is:
http://www.amqrp.org/kits/softrock40/index.html

Vy 73

Steve, VK6VZ

---------------------------------
G'day

If any Orion users (or anyone else) on the reflector have been following
the above thread and would like to try out the SDR-1000 software on air,
using their PC, there is a dead cheap way of doing it.

The American QRP Club is selling a bare-bones software defined receiver for
40m for a massive $23 which uses Flexradio's PowerSDR free open-source
software .  This uses a quadrature mixer, plugs into the USB port of your
PC and delivers an I-Q audio signal into the PC's sound card.

The little receiver has a claimed MDS of about -128dBm and a sensitivity of
around 0.1uV (? - I think).   It has been designed by Tony Parks KB9YIG and
Bill Tracy KD5STD - see www.amqrp.com for details.  A friend of mine has
just bought one and is having heaps of fun with it.

Incidentally, I don't have an Orion or a SDR-1000....  Lots of boat anchors
here...

Vy 73

Steve, VK6VZ