Re: [TenTec] Whirlpool Duet, Neptune, Orion

To: Tentec <tentec@contesting.com>, richardcardwell@adelphia.net
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Whirlpool Duet, Neptune, Orion
From: Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX <RMcGraw@Blomand.Net>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 11:23:03 -0500
Rich:

The fact that you did not observe any interference is attributed to the fact
that your load does not radiate nor does it receive for that matter.  That's
an indication of a good load.

Now, in most cases the control system of the washer does cause the chopped
AC to create a good bit of noise on the HF bands.  The fact that it is on a
different circuit from the radio has little to no bearing on it either.  The
neutral is common to both sides of the line and the neutral, depending on
load balance, is always a few millivolts above true ground.  A few
millivolts will radiate.

I'd expect if you have a antenna near the washer you'd hear the noise. One
of the other folks that complained indicated that his vertical is outside
the wall where the Duet is located.  In another case, the fellow has his ham
shack in the same room as the laundry equipment.

If you aren't bothered with it then good, don't consider "fixing it".  On
the other hand, these machines do have controllers that cause and radiate RF
emissions.  The controller takes the 120VAC single phase and converts it to
3 phase, quasi sine, to control the motor speed and direction.  There are
steps that can be implemented to improve, reduce or totally correct the
issue.  These include adding filtering in the form of common mode chokes.
Unfortunately, the manufacturer does not have any support in this area so
you are on your own.  The problem does not really come under FCC compliance
unless an official complaint is filed and even then, one could expect little
action.

73
Bob, K4TAX