[TenTec] Jupiter, My gud friend

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Jupiter, My gud friend
From: "HUGHESRO" <ROGERH@realtracs.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 01:06:08 -0600
Hello all.. Just to relay several things that have occured. The other nite I
had a report on cw that my signal was raspy and different. I then checked on
recieve and the signals sounded raspy and hard to tune in. My friend meet me on
40m and discovered my freq was off about 360 cycles. Of course their is no
calibration procedure as we know it. Long story short my astron ss30m ps was
effecting the operation of the jupiter. I unhooked and went to large deep cycle
battery and all cleared up. The astron is a switching PS. Done some research
and found other cases of this, but not same PS. Other suggestions found.
Upgrade the size of the PS cable. Also the DC connector on back is cheap
plastic and gets loose and causes problems. One person changed out connector to
anderson pp on back.   Next problem. The reed relay for keying makes a lot of
noise. Turn ur af and rf gain down. Also cut the sidetone to zero and listen to
keying relay as u send. Talk to gary @tt. the relay is on the l
 ow pass board inside the back end. also 14 other black relays for bands and
etc.... It is the round black reed relay (k6 on board. His fix was to use hot
glue gun and pack glue around it. Or cutting out a small piece of cardboard and
form a hat cover and fill with hot glue and hold over and down on relay until
it harden. This should quieten it down considerably. Will do this mod this week
hopefully. I don't always use headphones and is quite noticeable on my jupiter.
But I love this JUPE with N4PY software. Anyway tnxs for bandwidth. CUL roger
w4iv.