[TenTec] repair of Herc II amp RE Phil (k4dpk)

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] repair of Herc II amp RE Phil (k4dpk)
From: Sam Bridges <radiobridge@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 18:10:22 -0500
Hello Phil:
    I wondered about replacing all eight trans myself, but Gary at TT says that
is the only safe way. I gather the reason is that (I am told) the trans must be
matched in current drain or trouble will results. Secondly, it appears that RF
trans in or out of circuit can appear to test good when in  fact they will not
produce full output. This seems to be the result of the physical make up of the
trans.,viz. part of it will be working but the rest will not. As a result the
trans will not fail a continuity test but be bad. I am new to RF Trans so I
could be wrong.
    Anyone know what the resistance between the collector and the base should
be of a MRF454 out of circuit?
    Tnx de KJ4ZM Sam