Re: [TenTec] cw settings

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] cw settings
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 07:40:46 -1000
Where do you measure the rise time? When I was in the oldsillyscope
calibration business, we measured rise time of the leading edge of a
square wave as the time between 10% amplitude and 90% amplitude of the
waveform. That makes for a lot less intrepretation of where the rise
begins and where it ends, which you would have to do if you measured 0%
to 100%.

I'm not sure about the latest Tek scopes, but the ones I calibrated have
dashed lines to indicate those points. with the square wave set to cover
six vertical graticule divisions, we measured the rise time from the
lower dashed line (1/2 division up from -3) to the upper dashed line
(1/2 division below +3). This came right out of the Tektronix
calibration procedure manual in the section for checking whether the
scope's vertical rise time met spec. (Yes I know that 0.5 does not
exactly equal 10% of 6, but it is close enough)

DE N6KB