Re: [TenTec] cw settings

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] cw settings
From: "Bob Cunnings" <cunnings@lectrosonics.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 09:41:34 -0700
Good advice.

Being a "show me" type, I took a digital scope home and looked at the
indicated vs. measured rise times for cw keying in my Orion with firmware
version 1.371.

Scope: Tek TDS210 - 60 MHz, 1 GS/s
2.5 ms per division, time measurement cursors adjustable in 0.1 ms steps
Band was 20 meters, run into dummy load Measured last of a short string of
dits at approx 35 wpm, external keying.

Results in ms, average of 5 measurements:

Indicated                   Measured

3                              2.4
4                              3.0
5                              3.6
6                              4.4
7                              5.0
8                              5.6
9                              6.2
10                             6.8

The measured rise times were very consistent at a given setting and
increased in 0.6 ms steps as the control was adjusted upwards. As for error,
actual values ran from 80% of indicated to 68% of indicated over the range.

So the full range of control is indeed available for external keying.
Where the manual says "available", it means "recommended", and the warning
message in the CW menu screen when a setting higher than 5 is selected is
only advisory. That's the thing I wanted to be sure about.

Since the cw sidetone is recovered from the transmit signal like the ssb
monitor (right?) it finally occurred to me to try listening to the sidetone
as I varied the rise/fall time setting. Sure enough, the changes were
clearly discernable over the full range of the control. Wish I had tried
that earlier, my question would have been answered the easy way.

So desiring a 5.0 ms rise/fall time, I just set it to 7 and called it a day.
The cw envelope has a nearly ideal raised cosine shape, really pretty to
look at.

Bob NW8L