Re: [TenTec] Station and AC Ground

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Station and AC Ground
From: "Martin, AA6E" <martin.ewing@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 10:54:03 -0500
Jim,

I'm surprised your grounds are equal "to the microvolt".  To me, that
indicates that no current is flowing in either, not even reactive, or
else they really are bonded together in some way.  A practical ground
is going to have a resistance of a few ohms, in my experience.  And no
two independent grounds will have the same resistance.  So a current
of even a microamp will produce microvolts of differential.

That's neither here nor there.  The thing to be concerned with is what
happens under fault conditions.  What if there's a short in the wiring
that delivers 100 amps into the protective AC ground?  (Let alone a
lightning event.)  Under those conditions, you want to be sure that
your ham gear is not in the loop.  If your 3rd wire AC ground goes to
your rig, and your local radio ground is separate, you'll get a good
fraction of the fault current going through the radio.  Bad!

I solve this by running all my station AC through a Polyphaser PLDO
protector, which is bolted to my single point ground plane.  That's
where the 3rd wire AC meets my ham ground system.  I observed a
fraction of a volt of AC between the grounds before connecting them.
Now, any current surge will go from the 3rd wire to the SPG and my
equipment should not see it. See
http://blog.aa6e.net/2005/03/in-shack-ground-system.html .

(The PLDO is there mainly to absorb voltage surges on the hot and
neutral wires, not for grounding, but it does add discipline to the
grounding situation.)

73 Martin AA6E

martin.ewing@gmail.com
http://blog.aa6e.net