Re: [TenTec] Station and AC Ground

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Station and AC Ground
From: "Gary Hoffman" <ghoffman@spacetech.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 18:01:48 -0500
From: "ROBERT CARROLL" <w2wg@comcast.net>
To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 9:42 AM

> With a truly balanced antenna there should be no RF current from the
station
> to ground.  If you are on the second or third floor and a long way from
the
> house ground--which is probably a very poor RF ground even if you are
close
> to it--you better hope things are well balanced.  If you are using a
> balanced antenna and find you need an artificial RF ground, something is
> badly wrong--and as has been said, a long  wire to the ground point will
> radiate even if it is tuned.

Yes.....it will radiate if it has current in it, as you said.

But, as you also said, there should be no current in it.

I don't advocate using the half wave ground in a vacuum, that is, without
taking the other necessary steps also.  You must choke off the inappropriate
ground currents as has been written about here and elsewhere.

Gary