Re: [TenTec] OMNI VI and fast switching amp hook up ?

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OMNI VI and fast switching amp hook up ?
From: "Mike Hyder -N4NT-" <n4nt_m_o_hyder@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 06:30:53 -0500
I used Ten-Tec rigs and a Heath SB-220 on CW for over 25 years.  Kept the
rig's relay drop-out set to maximum.  I cannot tell you what sequenced how
but never had any trouble with that setup.  Actually I preferred it to my
present Centurion amp because of two things:  1. the SB-220 was easier for
me to tune; and 2. while sending, the SB-220 antenna relay remained
energized.  This attenuated the received signals *and noise* and made
operating more pleasant but I could still hear someone breaking my sending.

The reason my relay contacts didn't melt down is probably that the amplifier
switched with one relay.  For that reason, its circuitry got no drive until
its output was properly connected to the antenna.

Had lightning not damaged my SB-220, I'd be happily rolling along with it
yet.

73, Mike N4NT