Re: [TenTec] Low Power Ten-Tec Ant Tuner ???

To: wb2vuf@qsl.net,Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Low Power Ten-Tec Ant Tuner ???
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2005 10:34:21 -1000
> The same components may be used in the Ten Tec
>artificial counterpoise tuner, or maybe this ground tuner could be
>converted into an "L" network antenna tuner.

That is probably the best use for any "artificial ground tuner". I see
no good reason to use an "artificial ground" that needs to be retuned
for each band, when you can make your own multiband counterpoise out of
a bunch of wires cut to quarter wavelengths. In a fixed location shack,
effort should be put into more, shorter, fatter ground leads to multiple
ground stakes. For a portable setup, or a perhaps in a rental which does
not allow wires through walls or windows, using counterpoise wires in
the shack may be the only option. A ground tuner for how much $ ? You
could buy a 500 foot spool of 14 AWG stranded insulated wire for the
same $ and have a quarter wavelength counterpoise wire for every band,
with wire left over. No need to retune your ground when changing bands.

DE N6KB