Re: [TenTec] ORION_ANTENNA_SWITCHING

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ORION_ANTENNA_SWITCHING
From: Sinisa Hristov <shristov@ptt.yu>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 10:48:24 -0500
George K wrote:

> The band data connector is open collector active low per the book.

Yes, it is, and a fairly large transistors are used, along with
some protection. Observe voltage/current limitations given in the manual
(13.8 V, 250 mA), and do not forget the protection diode at the realy coil.
No additional components are needed to connect any number of outputs in
parallel.

> Can I just connect the 160 through 30 meter wires together to select one path
> and the 20 through 10 meter to select the other path

Actually, it's simpler than that.

A plain SPDT coax relay can be used, driven by, say 160..30 m outputs
in parallel. Connect 160..30 m antenna to the NO connector,
and the other antenna to the NC connector.

73,

Sinisa  YT1NT, VE3EA