Re: [TenTec] Orion with V2 rf gain

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion with V2 rf gain
From: Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX <RMcGraw@Blomand.Net>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 11:12:29 -0600
To that end, I have checked my receivers and have adjusted or calibrated the
S meter to indicate S-9 on 20M with 50uV at the antenna terminal.  The
Collins S-Line uses 100 uV for S-9 as their reference.  And yes, I have a HP
generator suitable to perform this calibration.

Interestingly enough, I find that once done this way, the receivers are
surprisingly accurate on most all bands.  At the same time, signal levels
much below or above S-9 are a best guess.  The presumes that 1 S unit is
equal to about 6 dB.  ABOUT is a good word here.  However, 10 db above S-9
or 20 dB above S-9 again is a "best guess".

73
Bob, K4TAX