Re: [TenTec] using the D-104 on the jupiter or triton IV

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] using the D-104 on the jupiter or triton IV
From: Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX <RMcGraw@Blomand.Net>
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 19:18:53 -0600
That's because the input Z of the audio circuit {Jupiter or Triton} loads
the mike element and away go the lows.  The input Z of these radios is in
the order of 100K ohms or less.  The original D-104 mike needs to see a
input Z of something greater than 1 to 4 megohms.  Now, if one has the G
stand with the amp, basically an impedance converter, then it will drive a
low impedance input circuit without degradation of the frequency response.

Some have had success by using an in line matching transformer but my
experience is that humm is a concerning factor with the transformers at
these very low signal levels.

The G stand with the amp in the base is the better solution.  Be careful and
not get the gain too high on the amp in the base thus overdriving the input
stage of the radio.  No amount of mike gain reduction on the radio will
correct the problem as the mike gain is after the first stage of
amplification.

73
Bob, K4TAX