Re: [TenTec] Orion II roofing filters

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion II roofing filters
From: "Martin, AA6E" <martin.ewing@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 14:56:24 -0500
Yes, I could have been clearer.  There are different "bands" or
passbands to consider.

Say you are working CW with the stock 1 kHz roofing filter and you
have the DSP BW set to < 300 Hz (assume no PBT).  If you are trying to
dig out a weak signal, and there is very strong QRM inside the 1 kHz
roofing passband, but outside the central 300 Hz, then the 300 Hz
roofing filter should help. Otherwise, the 1 kHz filter should be just
as good as the 300.

At this point, it helps to draw a picture...  I have a few in a talk I
gave early this year: http://www.aa6e.net/aa6e/orion-MARC/img9.html
and following.

73, Martin AA6E

martin.ewing@gmail.com