Re: [TenTec] O2 Noise Reduction

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] O2 Noise Reduction
From: "Toby Pennington" <toby423@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 20:30:41 -0500
The original inquiry was about the Noise Reduction on the Orion vs the NR on
the Pro 3.  Some how this got switched to the NB  ( noise blanker) on the
Orion being better.  The NB is indeed better on the Orion than the Pro 3,
as it has the DSP blanker as well as the hardware blanker.

However,  the NR on the Pro 3 is excellent as I have used one of these rigs
for a while and believe the NR on the Pro 3 probably has the edge over the
Orion.  I chose to keep the Orion because it is a better cw rig by far and I
sold the Pro 3.  There were some DSP artifacts in the cw receive which made
the cw signals sound rought or raspy at times, and also there was a "near
ringing" sound when the bandwidth was narrowed down to 250 hz or so. QSK cw
was poor on the Pro 3 also.

The Orion is a much better cw rig and is my choice for overall performance.

Toby  W4CAK