Re: [TenTec] Radio Science + QSK = Radar

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Radio Science + QSK = Radar
From: "James Duffer" <dufferjames@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 06:56:16 -0600
Some FAA Technicians were trained on the "FPS" series of long range radars
which the FAA maintained at the time (at some "joint use" sites and FPS's
acquired at a few FAA Only sites) at Keesler AFB.  Also some AF personnel
were trained at the F.A.A Academy, Oklahoma City on the AN/FYQ-47.  From
what I gathered, FAA personnel look forward for the training at
Keesler....seems like GS-11 and 12 were treated like VIP back in those
times.  I never had to work on FPS as I was assigned at an ARSR-2 site for
10 years before going to the FAA Academy where I was an instructor on the
AN/FYQ-49/47.

Those FPS-12's were then modified, updated and probably now replaced by the
ARSR-3 and ARSR-4.  The long range radar was used for en-route ATC and at
the time I retired from the FAA (from Washington, D.D.-FAA Headquarters)
there were some in higher management who stated there was no longer a need
for en-route primary radar (as opposed to secondary radar).  They seemed to
think that GPS (differential GPS) was going to be the way of the future.  I
wonder if there is still a move to get rid of the enroute long range primary
radar within the FAA.  Any current FAA radar people on the list?  Let me
know.

73,
WD4AIR