[TenTec] Headphone Redux

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Headphone Redux
From: Lee A Crocker <lee_crocker@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 04:47:56 -0800 (PST)
I am now the proud owner of 3 different noise
canceling headphones.

Heil $99
RCA hpnc-250  $30
TDE $10

I've had the Heil for several months.  I found the
RCA's at Walmart over the holidays, and I found the
TDE's at a CVS in Orlando.  The Heil are the most
comfortable to wear.  They do not touch the earlobe
but cup the ear, and provide good isolation.  The
noise canceling works well especially on things like
fan noise.  The sound quality is excellent and the N/C
doesn't add any artifacts.  The effect when you turn
them on is similiar but not identical to entering an
an-echoic chamber.  In other words the effect is a
distinct lack of noise that I would characterize as
"deadness"

The RCA while 1/3 the price are as good in terms of
the noise canceling effect.  They have good audio
quality and are confortable, but the ear pads do
contact the ear lobe so over all they may not be the
best for long hours of listening.

The CVS phones are clearly inferior ot these other
phones.  They are about the equivalent to the RCA in
both comfort and audio quality but the noise canceling
is much inferior.  Where the others leave you with the
perception of "deadness" the CVS acts more like a high
pass filter where the lows are reduced, but what then
passes are highs so you end up with higher pitched
noise that lacks the lows instead of "deadness".  It
seems to just shift the noise up the spectrum so to
speak, instead of cancel it.

So that's my experience with noise cancelers.  YMMV

73  W9OY