Re: [TenTec] Omni Vi and DSP

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni Vi and DSP
From: Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX <RMcGraw@Blomand.Net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 21:53:16 -0600
The Omni VI Plus DSP has two functions.  One is noise reduction NR and the
other is Auto Notch.  The NR algorithm is tailored basically for SSB noise
reduction with minimal impact on voice.  It works equally well on CW.  The
AutoNotch is just that.  It looks for and at constant tone values and
rapidly creates a very sharp notch of some 40 dB, more or less depending on
tone frequency and the number of notches it is required to generate.

As to external DSP units, I use a Timewave DSP-9+ with great success.  It
connects in-line between the external speaker output and the external
speaker.  The 13.8 volts is obtained from the rear panel 13.8 V jack on the
Omni.  It offers several features that is not offered in the Omni VI Plus in
addition to bandwidth shaping and decoding for RTTY mode.

In either case both DSP systems are audio only processing, therefore a tummy
full of 9 MHz IF filters and 6.3 MHz IF filters are of great value.

73
Bob, K4TAX