Re: [TenTec] Paragon Questions - My first

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Paragon Questions - My first
From: Bwana Bob <wb2vuf@qsl.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 19:34:20 -0500
Congratulations, JT, the Paragon is a fine radio.

There are a few things to look for:

1) Put in a rechargeable battery.

2) If the receiver is dead on some bands, the contacts on the band
relays may be a little dirty. Just put on a dummy load and transmit a
little on the band in question and the problem will clear up. A dead
receiver can also be caused by tarnished switch contacts on the receive
antenna switch on the rear panel. Contact cleaner will fix that.

3) Some Paragons had poor solder workmanship on the two PLL boards.
Symptoms are "PLL out off lock" display, and warbly-sounding cw and SSB
signals. The fix is to reflow the solder on both boards.

Regarding mikes, I it will take a hi-z or a low-z mike. The 705 desk
mike is avaialble in kit form. I use a Heathkit Electrovoice dynamic
mike with mine.

                                73,

                                Bob  WB2VUF