[TenTec] Argonaut V Transmit Audio on SSB

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Argonaut V Transmit Audio on SSB
From: Don Rasmussen <wb8yqj@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 09:20:02 -0800 (PST)
Well, yes, but the flip side to that is that the
transmit audio on AM and FM is more in line with the
fidelity on receive. I was doing some comparisons last
night between the Argo V and Corsair II with Inrads at
2.8khz and 400hz and the little Argo sounds just as
sweet on CW and SSB as the Corsair, full fidelity on
SSB and very quiet and sensitive on CW. After all
that, restricting the SSB tx audio to QRP rig levels
seems a bit like a cruel joke. ;-)

Hoping that although my unit is a brand new one from
the factory, that it is not representative of all of
them on SSB transmit but again not a deal killer for a
very fine rig.

Re: [TenTec] Argonaut V Transmit Audio on SSB
from [RaySoifer] [Permanent Link][Original]

Anyway, the Argonaut V doesn't have 'bad' audio.  It
has 'DX' audio, i.e., a frequency response intended to
maximize intelligibility when the S/N ratio is low, by
putting all its power into those portions of the
spectrum that contribute to that.  Remember, this is a
20-watt radio that is not intended to
drive a linear -- no provisions for amp control are
included.