Re: [TenTec] Argonaut V Transmit Audio on SSB

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Argonaut V Transmit Audio on SSB
From: Bwana Bob <wb2vuf@qsl.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 20:17:02 -0500
Yes, it is possible that Ten Tec designed the audio that way on purpose,
just like the Heil HC-5 microphone element.

Regarding low power SSB, I routinely run my Scout at about 35 watts, and
it works fine. I use it to work the 75/80 m traffic nets back home when
I'm camping. I use a low 66 foot wire (NVIS mode) and get 5-9 reports.

Masochism is running 5 watts of SSB with a Yaesu FT-817 and a "miracle
whip", but with the right antenna, frequency, and time  choice, I'm sure
that the  Yaesus and the original Argonauts will do fine, too. Just
don't expect too much.

                        73,

                        Bob WB2VUF