[TenTec] Orion II tuning questions

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion II tuning questions
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 06:42:25 -0500
N6AHA wrote:

 >I understand that the encoder has 256 steps per rotation and that
step rates from 1 Hz to 100 kHz can be selected.   That would give a
tuning rate of 2.56 kHz per turn with 10 Hz steps, which is the
largest I like to use for most operating.

         That's correct but there is also a Slow and
Fast Menu setting for all encoder rates.  Fast
gives 256 steps but slow is 4 times that.  If you
select Fast / 10 Hz Steps, one revolution is
2.56 kHz.  If you select Slow / 10, one revolution
is 640 Hz.  And if you want to quickly speed up
the rate from the front panel, you press either
Main RX or Sub RX again and Step increases X10
with an indicator "xm 100" appearing on the
display if you originally had "10" selected.

 >How fast can the radio be QSY'ed without the
processor running into problems or slowing you down?

         I believe this was an old issue with original
Orions in the fall of 2003, which was corrected
in firmware shortly thereafter.  It's not an issue now.

 >Also, how is the mechanical feel of the tuning?  Is
there sufficient weight to the knob for a nice 'flywheel'
feel?  How does it compare to other rigs such as the
TS-870 or the old KWM-380?  Any and all comments would
be welcomed!

         I like it quite well and it reminds me of the
FT-1000D knob.  You can adjust the drag and mine
turns freely with slight continuing spin after I
remove my fingers from the knob.  Mine has a nice
silky feel to it.

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV

P.S.  I normally use 10 / Slow for CW and 100 / Slow
for SSB, activating the X10 mode if I want to QSY
quickly.