Re: [TenTec] re Trees

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] re Trees
From: Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX <RMcGraw@Blomand.Net>
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 08:09:30 -0600
I can factually attest to the fact that foliage on trees will attenuate RF.
I can't hear signals off of the moon on 432 when it is below the top of the
pine tree just a few yards from my array to the east.

Also, a significant amount of RF can ignite a tree.  I lit the top of a
maple during a Fall EME contest.  The leaves were quite dry and I let the
high gain array, fed with lot of power, skew down such that the tree was
into the major lobe of the antenna.  Quite impressive site.  The tree
suffered little damage.

As to HF signals, trees will little effect on signals.  However, the wire
contacting the tree may cause the tuning to change with changing moisture
levels due to season of the year or precipitation.

Your mileage may vary.

73
Bob, K4TAX