Re: [TenTec] S-meter and RF Gain

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] S-meter and RF Gain
From: "James Duffer" <dufferjames@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 21:23:59 -0600

snip
>It seems to me if you decrease rf gain so should signal levels decrease
>hence lower s-meter readings. I liked that way in the OmniVI and as I
>remember in the other Omnis and Corsairs.
snip

Varying the rf gain shouldn't vary the strength of the signal received.  I
recall an alignment procedure for the s meter where a 50 microvolt signal
applied to the receivers input would produce an s9 meter reading (RF gain
control at max). There are some receivers that do not even have an RF gain
conrol.  Most receivers do however have an s-meter.  I would suppose that a
receiver equipped with an s-meter, but no RF gain control would still prove
a problem for many on this list!!

73, Jim, wd4air