[TenTec] Smoke gets into everything!

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Smoke gets into everything!
From: "k3hx@juno.com" <k3hx@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 02:33:21 GMT
OM,

In a former life, I was a radio fixer for a large police department.

Smoke  DOES  mess up relays and anything that is not sealed.

It took us  YEARS  to convince the powers that be to ban smoking in

the dispatch center.  It took complaints from some of the non-smoking

dispatchers and a plastic-cased relay with a coating of "disgusting

yellow-brown goo" (the boss' words, not mine) to get the place declared

"non-smoking."  (I supplied the relay which was in a console but not

used in our configuration.)

Smoke gets into nearly EVERYTHING.  Pots, relays, jacks, some switches,

meter movements, panel surfaces and microphones.  I've spent hours

spraying relays that were intermittant from a coating of smoker

residue.  These were small signal relays with gold (non-corroding)

contacts.  The smoke acted as a sometimes insulator.

I'd not purchase a radio from a smoker.

73

Tim Colbert  K3HX

-- Randy Russe3ll <lord_russell53@yahoo.com> wrote:
Plus the majority of smokers nowdays have to go
outside to smoke anyway.  Which means we need a
service to coat our rigs with that fine patina of
smoke varnish that preserves the rigs.  I dispute the
assertion that it affects relays.  If you need to
clean your relay  contacts, it's most likely because
they were exposed to corrosion.  IMHO,  results may
vary.  73s  Like I say, I personally don't want one
around cats.