Re: [TenTec] [Orion] Orion V2. firmware A-OK!

To: <k4qo@earthlink.net>,"'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>,"'Danny Hampton'" <dhampton@ipass.net>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] [Orion] Orion V2. firmware A-OK!
From: "Thomas Jednacz" <tjednacz@ieee.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 20:58:43 -0500
Howdy - thanks for the info. I just checked mine - 40 meters, 2 el yagi, RF
100% and pre amp ON. Tuned in a broadcast and it was more than 60 dB over 9
- off scale. No clicking with notches off. No clicking with manual notch.
Some clicking with Auto Notch. Interesting the clicking is almost gone if
the tone is higher in frequency and the clicking is worse the lower the
tone.

You say that you have clicking with the notches turned off. On the original
Orion is was caused by having the internal (factory setting) IF gain set a
tad to high. I had to reduce the gain on my original Orion but have no
problems on the Orion II. I don't know for sure, but my guess is that the
clicking we hear is related to the critical adjustment of AGC decay rates. I
tried adjusting the "prog" setting AGC and gain. 5 dB/s and 9 uV seem to
just about eliminate the clicking so this also points to the critical
factory setting of the IF gain.

73, Tom, W7QF