Re: [TenTec] My Orion Page

To: na9u@arrl.net,"Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] My Orion Page
From: "Martin, AA6E" <martin.ewing@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 10:05:24 -0500
John,

You have a point.  Despite the drift, my old TS-520S was quite
successful running PSK31 after warmup.  That's about as demanding a
mode as any on HF.  So why worry about a few Hz on the Orion?

Stability and being able to measure and generate accurate frequency is
a Good Thing.  (You really do need it if you're working weak signals
at VHF and above.) What bothers me about the Orion is that for another
$10-20 (I'm guessing), you could have had a master oscillator with
maybe 10x the stability and accuracy of the present unit.  Or you
could have added the option to sync with an external standard.
There's already a spare jack on the back panel.

An Orion stabilizer would be a nice after-market add-on kit, for any
of you garage entrepreneurs. (But be careful not to degrade the phase
noise.)

73 Martin AA6E

martin.ewing@gmail.com
http://blog.aa6e.net