[TenTec] Omni V problems

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni V problems
From: "Lowell Schroeder" <w9kir@dpc.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 17:50:41 -0600
I have a Omni V with an intermittent receive problem. After it is on a short
while it sounds like it goes into self oscillation. I can turn it off then
on and it is fine. After twenty minutes or so it will finally settle down
and stop. The problem seems to be electrical mechanical in nature. I have
narrowed it down to the Phase Lock Loop board. When I move certain
components in the low-pass output circuit it stops. You would think bad
solder joint! I have went over the solder joints in all the suspect areas
and it still does the same thing. I have noticed also on listening to 160M
with no antenna connected I hear a high whine noise in the background. I
suspect some defective component there somewhere, mechanical connection or
thermal. Has anybody out there in Ten Tec land had a similar problem? I
would sure appreciate some hints as to where next to look. I have been
fighting this for over six months now, it seems like it must be some thing
very simple like a bad connection but no luck yet. Lowell W9KIR