Re: [TenTec] RX EQ and TX EQ in 2055

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RX EQ and TX EQ in 2055
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 14:02:20 -0600
> After all,  the loss of
> audio below 200hz is working right now,  and it used to be
> explained as an operational trait or characteristic.

Well, of course, anything in the code could be considered an "operational
trait" :-)

According to T-T, they removed an audio AGC function which was the source of
increased noise, and that was at least in part the reason the audio dropped
due to increased filter loss at narrower bandwidths.

It would be interesting to know if they just bowed to all the grumping and
added the AGC function (with it's noise) back, or made some other sort of
change.  I admit I never noticed the radio getting noisier at narrow
bandwidths, but maybe I just wasn't looking for it, or attributed it to
something else -- gamma radiation, big-bang echo, whatever :-)

I think all of the ideas, comments, and suggestions are a good thing, and I
like seeing T-T take them into account.  I have a nagging suspicion, though,
that sometimes we (or maybe just the loudest voices) get what we ask for and
it ends up being at the expense of something else.  Not the least problem
being that there are at least as many ideas about what constitutes "ideal
operational characteristics" as there are users (the "please change this
knob to do what I think it should do" mentality), which complicates the
problem greatly for everyone.

Grant/NQ5T