[TenTec] V2.055 works for me!

To: tentec@contesting.com, orion565@yahoogroups.com,ditsnbits@tentec.com
Subject: [TenTec] V2.055 works for me!
From: Randy K4QO <k4qo@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 17:22:40 -0500
I like the new V2.055.

The SP control works now.  No more "blooming" between speech.

The NR function works great with V2.055!  My reference was 1.3672 , my
Orion's original firmware.
When you invoke it, noise is reduced.  What else is there to do?  You
can even set the amount
of "reduction".  BTW, the best NR function is really just to turn down
the RF gain and turn the AF up.

I really REALLY wish they'd make the main AF pot "soft-set" so that you
could set the audio level and
then use that control for the RF gain without having to keep selecting
the Multi pot.

The AN works really well also.  Tones disappear.  No clipping.  On
strong SSB signals there is a bit
of a hollow sound occasionally.  Not all the time. Just once in a while.

My microphone levels are about the same, but I understand the reason for
a level control.  When the radio
characteristics change, you have to change the control to compensate.
Thats life.  I'm not a HiFi ham so
the audio sounds fine to me - both rcv and transmit.  The Send recorder
is still a bit hot.  I get some distortion
when recording there.  That could be touched up.

I don't like the RX EQ - it operates like a bandpass instead of a high
or low enhance.  I'd rather have the
enhance feature like I thought it did in V1.3672.

All in all, V2.055 is WAY better than 1.3672 in my opinion.

73,
Randy
K4QO