Re: [TenTec] OMNI VI vs. Jupiter

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OMNI VI vs. Jupiter
From: "Ben K8DIT" <benk8dit@callatg.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 08:44:55 -0800
I used the Omni VI/opt1 and Jupiter alternately for about 4 years. It took 2
years for me to understand how to use the Jupiter succinctly so that I
gradually found out how to use it best. I wound up preferring the Jupiter
but it was a gradual process.
I operate mixed SSB/CW casually, dabble in contests, and have daily use of
my radio, ragchew or dx. Now I have an Orion and am pleased with it and the
new 2.055 firmware. I learned from following along on Jupiter's upgrades
that Ten Tec will diligently follow up on getting the product stable. It is
already stable enough to please me. I dont miss my Omni VI/opt1. I still
have my Jupiter, but havent upgraded from 1.26 because my Orion is working
nicely, especially on CW. I rarely use my amp on CW and have not explored
that aspect. The amp is a Centurion. Both the Omni and the Jupiter worked
fine when used with the amp. I reckon the Orion will be fine with the
Centurion when I get around to using it.
To conclude I would rate the Jupiter satisfaction level 125% of the Omni
VI/opt1 and the Orion 125% over the Jupiter. I have diligently read the nits
here on the reflector of both xcvrs over the years and months and would
successfully keep a positive perspective by treating the nits with a grain
of salt because I am not as demanding a user as these posters appear to me
to be.