Re: [TenTec] Sweep on O2

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Sweep on O2
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 10:52:19 -0600
> What else besides the Sweep and the NR that is broke in the
> O2?

It's true that the sweep may not meet everyone's operating needs.  It's
better than it has been previously, and is certainly more than adequate for
my use.

As I indicated in a post last night, I found the SNR -- actually (S+N)/N --
ratio to be improved by at least 10-12dB under VERY difficult noise
conditions when using NR.  I was actually quite surprised at that result.

On 20M this morning, with very differenct noise conditions than last night I
measuredthe SNR increase to be on the order of 20dB.  It was less at very
narrow CW bandwidths, but that's to be expected since there's less noise to
begin with -- the narrow bandwidth itself improves NSR ratio.  At a setting
of NR = 1 I measured about 10dB improvement, and at a setting of NR = 9 I
measured about 20dB overall using bandwidths of 1Khz and greater.

Everyone has to make up there own mind whether that constitutes "broken", I
guess.

Grant/NQ5T