Re: [TenTec] Sweep on O2

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Sweep on O2
From: CATFISHTWO@aol.com
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 14:35:55 EST

as an aside to the comments below here is my take.  Orion   running 1.732,
alpha 87a, 3 ele steppir or gap voyager, my basic setup .
I also have a 5btv, ma5b alpha delta 160-20 sloper and other  antennas.

I use the Orion for modest contesting.  For example  last week I  did about
20 hours in the arrl dx contest (ssb) and made about 350 contacts  over 3 day
on 10 to 160.

I used the Orion.  it worked very well.  I would spot the  occasional call to
my local friends on 2 meters and most of the time they could  not even hear
them
My Orion was usually set  at 2250 on BW 75 on rfgain, audio volume  loud, NR
either off or on 1. worked  a lot of split. it did fine

I also fired up the 746 pro and the ts 2000 and listened to the same signal
on all 3 and I find the Orion was consistently better.  With the same
antenna, I could usually hear "something" on all 3 but I could understand   it
on the
Orion. It has that 10% better hearing to let you pull out the soft  ones. I
think by controlling the bandwidth, gain and offset of the signal, it  allowed
me to quiet nearby stations, get rid of band noise, kill most of the  Base
part of the signal and let me hear the weak ones.

I could hear them on all 3 ( or hear something!!) but I could pull them out
on the Orion, for instance a yu1oj was continually reported as ya1oj and was
weak but the call was definitely yu1oj so that is the things that make the
Orion  shine in my book.

It just gives you more control of the signal, so you can make it sound the
way YOU need it to be able to hear it.

As an aside, both the Orion and the alpha 87a use silent switching.   it is
such a pleasure to use VOX ste to drop off in 25 milliseconds, and talk on  vox
naturally, just like you were sitting next to me.  no more AHHHHH   to hold
the amp up between words.  with no click on click off, you just  talk and don't
care.  I wish I had bought the OIrion / Alpha 87 first, it  is a superb set
up.

The new O II and newer versions of all the soft ware may be better, and may
need some minor adjusting, but folks who are reading this thinking  about
buying an Orion, by all means do it.  it is simply the best HF  rig I have ever
used. and I have had probably 20 or 30 different rigs  over the years, and
currently own 8 hf rigs.  but I use the Orion.

tom N6AJR

In a message dated 3/12/2006 9:42:30 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,