Re: [TenTec] Sweep on OII

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Sweep on OII
From: Duane A Calvin <ac5aa@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 08:49:45 -0600
Lee,
        I wrote a request to "ditsnbits" a few weeks ago asking for a
couple of additions to the sweep - one being a "marker" for where the
SubRX is tuned.  This should be fairly easy to do, and would make for
quick setting of QSX frequencies for those who use the sweep for that
purpose.  Frankly, after doing a LOT of DXing and working split
frequencies, I find the sweep really can only help you find out generally
where the activity is.  It certainly can't tell you where the station is
that the DX is currently talking too because so many DX novices are on
that are just incessantly calling, calling, calling . . .  Even when the
DX is talking.  As long as we have those who will talk before they
listen, using a scope to find the QSX will only be a first-order
approximation - after that you have to listen.

        73,  Duane

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 09:03:39 EST Kc9cdt@aol.com writes:
> Yes, my real issue is hunt & pounce, as an example.
> Split DX.
>
> VFO A on DX's RX Freq.
> VFO B to look for the Freq. the folks are calling him on ...up 5-10
> the DX and
> to listen to who he is talking to.
>
> When I am looking for the exact person calling the DX, I may
> (usually) see
> him on the sweep.
>
> NOW what I want to do is quickly tune to him! I don't want to do
> math to do
> that or guess. If I am quick enough I can tune to him and be ready
> when he
> signs to call right there on that freq. (TX set to VFO B)
>
> Your mileage may vary but that is what I want the real time sweep
> for.
>
> Also, let's say you are on 15 and there's a signal up 40, it would
> be nice to
> quickly tune to it to get the DX before he goes away in some cases
> they just
> don't stay that long. I don't want to try to figure how many KHz up
> he is, I
> just want to tune to him.
>
> Oh well, that's my take on it....
> 73,