Re: [TenTec] Effect of roofing filter selection on Orion II NB

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Effect of roofing filter selection on Orion II NB
From: CATFISHTWO@aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 14:44:03 EST

I think you both  miss the point, about 10 messages back one of you  stated
the it sounds like it works , eve though it was caused by both the signal  and
noise dropping causing it to sound like a better signal/ noise ratio.

Bottom line to me is that if is "sounds better" and I can hear it better,  it
does the trick for me.  I don't care about all the details behind it or
which meter you use, if I can hear it better, then its "better..   YMMV

tom  N6AJR

In a message dated 3/14/2006 11:03:28 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
nq5t@comcast.net writes:

>          Grant, I don't believe the 331A  is True RMS.
>          I cannot find anything  on Google to confirm that the
> 331A isn't True RMS, but that's what I  recall.

You're correct.  I had to dig around and find my  spec sheet.  Live and learn
:-)

It is RMS, calibrated to a sine  wave.

>          Let's just think about  your conclusion.
> 8-10 dB S/N improvement over the 100 Hz DSP BW  implies a
> 10-15 Hz filter bandwidth

I understand that, and  appreciate it.  The fact remains, there does appear
to be further  improvement in SNNR with NR engaged, even at narrow
bandwidths.

Perhaps someone with better lab resources will poke around at this  stuff,
too.  In the meantime, I'm going to go shopping for a 339A or  something
similar  :-)

Grant/NQ5T