Re: [TenTec] Orion 2 Autotuner

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion 2 Autotuner
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 15:32:39 -0600
> ..the Orion 2 ... antenna tuner does NOT
> have memories.

Correct

> The Orion transmits 20 watts when "Tune" is depressed.

Correct

> ... why did Tentec go [to] ... (memories versus resetting)

Who knows.  The original Orion used an OEM tuner card from LDG (no memory).
I haven't actually looked at the board in my II to see how it's marked, but
T-T supposedly changed their source, or now make it themselves.

>  ...does the Orion 2 contribute to an
> unnecessary amount of tuning up and QRM?

It takes 1-2 seconds.  You're going to generate a LOT more tuneup QRM tuning
the big manual tuner on the antenna side of your amp.

> I was thinking maybe the antenna tuner has a very broadband
> range

It is dependent on the tuner, the antenna, and the size of your frequency
wanderings.  From one end of the BAND to another, you'll probably have to
retune.  But tune in the center of the CW range, for example, you will
probably not have to tune but once -- depending on your antenna, etc. of
course.

> In contests with my FT 1000D I tune from one end of the band
> to the other, calling DX and contest stations as I hear them.

But you may be able to hear more of them on the Orion.  Everything is a
tradeoff :-)

> Yes, I know memories would add to the cost

You can purchase an internal memory tuner for the Orion from LDG, if that's
a critical factor for you. It's less expensive than the Tentec tuner option.
I've been told it doesn't have quite as much matching range, but haven't
looked at it closely.

> appreciated so I can brag about my newly ordered Orion 2.

There are other things to brag about :-)  Hope you enjoy your radio.

Grant/NQ5T