Re: [TenTec] Orion Sub Receiver BW

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion Sub Receiver BW
From: Sinisa Hristov <shristov@ptt.yu>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 04:53:46 -0500
Lin Davis wrote:

> Interesting! I wonder if Ten-Tec did this to reduce the DSP workload thus
> increasing overall performance (i.e.. sweep, and user input response). If I
> understand correctly, if you cut the bandwidth that a DSP filter must contend
> with by 2, you cut the "work load" by four;

The workload is proportional to filter length (199 taps default),
and not related directly to the bandwidth.

> the filter requires half the coefficients

The number of coefficients is most dependent on the
required filter slope, measured in dB/Hz. As the filter
gets narrower, the tendency is for the number of
coefficients to grow, with sampling rate unchanged.

> and since the sampling rate can be cut in half as well, (decimation is the
> term)

My understanding is that Orion uses no BW-dependent decimation.

73,

Sinisa  YT1NT, VE3EA