Re: [TenTec] How do the new filters work in the recentJupiter Firmware u

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] How do the new filters work in the recentJupiter Firmware upgrade?
From: jerome schatten <romers@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 10:47:16 -0800
On Sun, 2006-03-26 at 12:12 -0500, NZ8J wrote:
> I haven't seen much talk about the new Jupiter firmware other than the
> problems some folks had initially upgrading.  I'd like to hear from those
> who have upgraded their Jupiter's to the latest firmware and specifically
> how they compare the cw filter performance to the older version that only
> went down to 300hz.  Also, just what does: " Modified RFGAIN cotnrol
> manipulate hardware and DSP RF gain" mean in operational terms? (That came
> directly from the rfsquared site)
>
> Thanks
> Tim
> NZ8J

Hi Tim, et al

>From my perspective (cw for 53 years), the new filters make the
difference between being able to copy weaker sigs in a noisy city
environment and not. If the S meter can be believed, going from 300 hz
to 100 hz reduces the noise reading by almost an S unit. This
improvement makes a big difference to me.

The RF gain before the latest firmware release seemed to drop like a
rock from 75% on down; now there is a smooth lowering of the RF gain for
most of the control range -- much improved.

As well, the NR seems to have less distortion when engaged and seems to
accommodate marginal signals better than in the old firmware. It never
makes the difference between copy and no copy, but in most cases where
the signal is more than a few db above the noise, it does seem to give
some relief from the noise and make a long qso less fatiguing.

All in all, I think TT got most of it right in this release.

jerome - va7vv